Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 25 - Piankatank R. to Reedville VA (27.2 nm, 8:35 hrs.)
Wind shifted during the night from S to W at 12 to 17.  Made it a little rough and wind noise in the rigging.  Anchor held fine in 7' of water. "Piankatank" must be Indian for "wind" cause I've sure had plenty of it since I got here.  Up at 5:30, anchor up at 6:30am.  Wind west at 10 till I got out of the Piankatank - then dropped to W at 3 to 7.  Crossed the mouth of the Rappahannock on a broad reach.  Motored for half an hour till around 11am.  Broad reached up to the Great Wicomoco in a S at 5 wind. Pretty boring.  Tacked into the River and then up into Mill Creek on the South. This was my first time in Mill Creek (Fred had recommended it).  This is one of the nicest areas on the Bay -lots of great anchorages, white sand beaches, etc.  First dropped anchor on the SE side of the point.  Then the wind shifted to SE around 6pm. Got choppy so I moved over to the West side where there were several boats already anchored and rafted.  Dropped anchor 5 times and drug every time but the last which was a little upsetting.  I'm sure it made my new neighbors nervous too.  Later read on the technique for setting the (new to me) light weight Fortress anchors. Went for a swim and cleaned the hull for the first time on the trip.  Then showered, listened to some tunes (first time), and had a beer.  Heaven couldn't be better.

Mill Creek white sand beach.  One of several.

 Long day for the commercial boats too.

My buddy in Oddessy still plugging away!  Notice the fishing pole on the port side.


No comments:

Post a Comment