Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Day 26 - Reedville VA to Dunns Cove on the Choptank (66.8 nm, 12:56 hrs.)

Up at 4:30 for a long day. There aren't many stopping points other than Solomons on the way north and I really didn't want to go that far out of my way.  Tillghman Island is not that far off a direct line north so I figured I'd go for it.  Pulled anchor at 5 as it was just starting to get light.  Travelled about 5 miles just getting out of the Great Wicomoco before I could head north.  Once in the Bay, wind was SSW at 14.  Passed Point No Point at 10:30am with wind SW at 7-10.  Wanted to make Solomons by noon as criteria for continuing onto Dunns Cove.  Was a little late but the wind was building so I kept going.  Figured I could motor the last 5 miles if necessary.  Was easy sailing - all a port broad reach with lots of help from Auto after Point No Point.  What a great day!  Sailed into the Choptank and into Dunns Cove, running the engine for only the last 15 minutes. Wind in the Choptank was SSW to SW at 10 to 15.  With a very large fetch, made for a fairly rough following sea but I managed.  Did 67 miles and got into Dunns Cove at 6pm - long before dark.  Rain is in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow with 5 kt. winds shifting from W to NE.

Sunrise on the Bay - 42' light on North side of Great Wicomoco entrance on left.  Workboat in center.

Just as a point of reference, this is what a 55' foot catch looks like pounding into the seas with a 15 kt. headwind.  I'm not sure why but photographs and even videos always seem to make the seas look much more calm than they really are.  For me, it was a following see which means no pounding but harder to steer (due to yawing).






No comments:

Post a Comment