Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 7 - Mobjack Bay to Norfolk (46.0 nm, 12:13 hrs)

Great Day.  What a difference 24 hours can make.  Last night didn't blow NW as they forecasted so got a decent nights sleep.  Up at 5am.  Inside the boat was like a sauna from yesterday and wet clothes. Sun was out at 7am.  Great.  Left at 7:30.  Had 15 to 30 NW all the way to Norfolk. Passed the Hampton Fort at noon.  What a ride - like being on a roller coaster for 4 hours straight.  I had been a little nervous going through the Norfolk - with all the current, nav marks, big ships, etc.  Never had time to worry about it as it was happening.  Could only focus on NOW.  Stopped at Tidewater marina for ice.  Got to the Gilmerton Bridge at 3:30pm and was told they were closed till 8pm for railroad construction.  Anchored off a scrap metal dump till I drug anchor 5 or 6 times.  Then headed back down river (back north) about a half mile to a better anchorage.  At the sight of 5 or 6 boats heading North, I called the bridge.  They said they opened early at the request of some big barge. So they opened for me and I got to the docks at the north end of the Dismal Swamp at 7:30pm. Great (free) floating dock. I was the only one there and had water.  Was a little noisy from I664 traffic but once my head hit the pillow, it didn't matter.

Left goes to ICW Eastern Cut.  Right goes to ICW Dismal Swamp

Docked at Chesapeake Yachts - North end of Dismal Swamp


No comments:

Post a Comment