Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 23 - Deep Creek to Hampton (22.8 nm, 7:42 hrs.)

Slept in till 6:30am since lock doesn't open till 8.  Fixed pancakes.  They were the worst I've ever made - the thickness of a quarter - with the consistency of cardboard.  Not sure what happened.  Waited for bridge/lock till almost 9am.  While waiting, met a couple who had motored from the Visitors Center that morning on their Benetau 50 - Andrew and Susan. Both British.  The docked behind me at the Deep Creek bridge. It was a little tight.  Saw them again at Norfolk.  Motored to the Gilmerton Bridge and got there at 10:20 for the 10:30 opening.  Sailed most of the way through Norfolk and across the channel to Hampton.  Wind got stronger as the day went on and ended up tacking on jib alone up to the Hampton entrance channel. IAfter a fairly rough sail across the main channel, I realized I had the engine running at 1800 rpm with the transmission in neutral.  No wonder I wasn't making much headway and the engine was running so "cool". Anchored across from the City Marina - very nice and a good value.  Not many slips, however.  Dinghied into the marina and walked into town.  Went to the Taphouse for a beer but ended up sitting next to some annoying guy.  They were having a music fest downtown that evening so I wandered around that for a bit, then went back to the boat for the night.  I liked Hampton - appears to be a real sailing town and a cool place to come back to.

Reminder of my Navy days
 Some of the barges are downright intimidating!
 All sorts of "ships" being refitted
 Schooner "Virginia"
 Navy's newest design warship
 Hampton City Marina and Crown Plaza
 What I Do at anchor in Hampton
 Hampton street fair


No comments:

Post a Comment