Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 12 - Pungo River to Bonner Bay (36.6 nm, 11:55 hrs.)
What I Do got a good fresh water rinse today.  I think it rained harder than I have ever seen it rain.  Over a 6 hour period, it rained 4 or 5 times and 3 of those were downpours.  I sailed for about 6 hours and motored for 6.  I was warm (most of the time) and got through it.  Like a fool, I still had not unfolded my bimini so the only thing between the weather and me was my foul weather gear - which did an admirable job. 

It was a long day - To Dowery Creek Marina for ice and fuel, around Durants Pt, 8 miles down the remainder of the Pungo to and across the Pamlico River, into Goose Creek, through another 5 mile land cut, into and across Bay River and, finally into Bonner Bay.

Just after I anchored, the sun came out and just before it did, I got to see a beautiful rainbow in the East.  I believe this was the most isolated (from civilization) spot on my trip and with the rainbow, it was like I was in heaven - definitely a time and place to remember.  Knowing I'd be in Oriental tomorrow made me feel like I was nearing my destination - and I was.

Bonner Bay - this is about as remote as it gets. Notice the reef in the main?  It has been there for a week!


No comments:

Post a Comment