Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 14 - Oriental NC (0 nm)

In Oriental all day.  At the recommendation of Neal Wischer (met at the Dismal Swamp Info Ctr), I went to The Bean at 7:30 to meet Paul Mascero.  First, met Karen (the manager) who was clearly in charge.  This is a real hang out for the locals and they sometimes need mothering.  That's where Karen comes in.  As predicted, Paul showed up just after 7:30 and I introduced myself.  Of course, he had his usual group of comrades who sat out on the deck (overlooking What I Do), having their morning coffee. 

One guy was had owned a diesel maintenance shop.  He suggested I forget the existing pump and replace it with a new electric pump.  For $60, I could have a more reliable unit. Of course, this would mean making and electrical connection and some way to mount it. Everyone else, including Paul agreed.  In addition, Fred had offered to let me use his spare electric pump to get me by. I later was told by the local mechanic that the electric pumps put out 7 or 8 psi and all I needed was about 2psi so I could expect additional leaks with an electric pump.

Paul was a nice guy.  He is retired.  He drove me out of town to see his boat/home (he lives aboard the 37' catamaran he designed and built).  He was an engineer and is a pretty smart guy - about everything - computers, electrical, mechanical, etc.  He took me to Deatons Boatyard where I talked to Gary about my fuel pump.  He was fairly sure the diaphragm was shot.  A new pump was 197 plus 60 for a fuel hose plus shipping.  Paul took me back to the boat.  After I treated him to lunch, I took the pump off and disassembled it. Sure enough, the diaphragm looked pretty ragged.  If it didn't have a leak, it should have.  Took it over to Deatons on my bike and Gary confirmed it was shot.  Ordered a new pump that was to be in on Tuesday. 

Rode bike to the consignment shop (junky).  Had a West Marine Express and another descent parts place near the city dock but didn't make it to WM. Back at the boat, I reinstalled the old pump, vented the fuel system and made sure the engine would start and run. Ate dinner on the boat (rained from 5 to 8pm) and went to the Oriental Inn marina for a shower and ice.

Paul's catamaran at the "edge" of town.


No comments:

Post a Comment