Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 13 - Bonner Bay to Oriental NC (22.3 nm, 6:18 hrs.)

I'm in Oriental!  The second of my major destinations.  The Sailing Capital of North Carolina!  See http://towndock.net/harborcam for a current view of where I docked for two days.

Pulled anchor about 7am - off to a slow start.  Ran out of the creek with a 5 kt. SW wind.  Sailed around the points with a nice 10 kt. SW wind. Then came the RAIN.  Rained solid from 9am to 1pm - hard at times with lightening and thunder nearby at times. I took shelter behind the mainsail to keep from being pelted.  Came into Oriental harbor inside the boat - on autopilot, viewing the chart plotter and peaking out now and then for a reality check.  Stopped raining just as I entered the harbor.  Anchored once in the confined anchorage area and drug.  Anchored again after wind shifted to S and picked up to 10 to 15.  It was a comforting thought that every piece of electrical and electronic gear (Garmin, auto pilot, engine control panel and instruments, depth, speed, etc.), exposed to the weather was soaking wet and still worked perfectly.  The engine has failed to start twice due to air in the system.  Might be related to the fuel leak (which persists).  When I get home, I'm going to rebuild the entire fuel system.  Initially, the free city dock had 8 or 10 little run abouts taking up space.  Fortunately, a little shower cleared them out and gave me a great spot to tie up.  Saved $57 per night for the marina right next door.  And for $2, I was able to use the marina shower anyway.  It just doesn't get any better.  Met Tom and his wife docked next to me on their Columbia 26.  They were returning to somewhere up north from their 1.5 year trip to the Bahamas and Exumas.

This is the (free) City Dock in Oriental. That's What I Do on the right. It was great.  Right across the street from The Bean coffee shop. Even had free wifi - on the boat!
 This is Tom's boat.  What a contrast to What I Do. At times, I felt a little embarresed having a boat that looked so sterile.


No comments:

Post a Comment