Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 10 - Elizabeth City to Alligator River (40.0 nm, 10:25 hrs.)

Up at 4:30 for an early start.  Wanted to make the 6am bridge opening. With light morning winds, met Fred and Judy on the Pasquotank River at about 9am.  Fred has a beautiful Brewer 44 ketch.  He anchored and I rafted up along side.  Judy fixed a breakfast fit for a king and even gave me half of the meat loaf she had made for Fred the night before (for sandwiches the next two days).  Fred had no comment. Cast off around 10am for the Albermarle Sound.

Every thing I have read and everyone I've talked to says the Albemarle Sound can be treacherous in any wind. I wanted to leave a day later but the forecast was for building winds. Forecast was for 5 to 10 knots, SSW to S.  Actual was 10 to 15 knots, S to SSE (on the nose).  I'm sure it could have been worse but it was pretty nasty at times.

At the north entrance to the Alligator River, I was trying to lower the sails (in 15 to 20 kt winds) when one of the lines snagged the throttle and revved the engine to max rpm.  I got it back down but then had no power - thought it had messed up the linkage.  Checked below and saw no problems.  Was about to end the trip when I decided to shut off the engine and restart it.  That took care of what ever was the problem. 

Pulled into an anchorage just off Sandy Pt. (NW of the Alligator River swing bridge) at around 4:30pm.  Fell asleep at 8.  Another rough day.

Fred's boat - taken on Worton Creek MD


No comments:

Post a Comment